Saturday, August 6, 2011

A news type of blog...

Get it?

Oh wait, I guess I should explain myself.

Due to my upcoming trip to WI next weekend for the Great Taste of the Midwest, I've been keeping my eye on a blog called Madison Beer Review. It's a nifty blog where a guy discusses personal beer issues as well as posts information and news about the local beer scene. It strikes me that this type of venue is glaringly absent in Tallahassee, so I'm going to try my best to fill that void with news, rumors, and plenty of nonsense. This means that I'll probably be posting more often, and sometimes they will be short, sweet entries that highlight beer happenings in the area. For you followers from out of town... I'll still post articles as well, so deal with it.

Brewers/bars/stores/etc. - if you would like to contact me with information, please do so at tallybeercritic (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!

Without further ado, let's get started, as there is plenty going on these days.

First, Fermentation Lounge has set their next brew release for this coming Wednesday, August 10th. They will be serving a Watermelon Wheat (through an actual watermelon) as well as their famed Amaretto Porter (God help me). They've released a list of potential release dates for the next several months on their blog if you'd like to plan ahead. I will be there on Wednesday to taste the new brews if anyone wants to come chat.

Momo's (the bigger location on Market Street) is making advances in their plans to brew, as is evident from their new website. They've cleverly dubbed the brewery "Market Street Brew Pub." There are some cool pictures of their equipment on the brewery page, but it's hard to tell exactly what size everything is. Talking to one of the brewers (proprietors of the neighboring Homebrew Den) in the past, he told me they were getting a 3-barrel system. I was in the Den today and was informed that they are currently tweaking the equipment and simply awaiting permits and various other paperwork and red tape BS. I love city governments.

In a bit of lesser-known news, a brewer that currently works at Mike's Stone Baked Pizza informed me they are filing for a brewpub license and will be brewing and serving on site within the next couple of months. For those of you that don't know Mike's, it's a new pizza place in town that's pretty tasty. I've only had the pizza, but I've heard the calzones are to die for. They don't currently have a website, but you can follow them on Facebook. I don't know that it's official, but the brewing side of things are potentially going to be called "Fat Hound Brewing" and the brewer intends to have a rotating selection of high-quality, traditional styles (IPAs, hefes, etc.) as opposed to individual releases. I believe most of their brews will be in 20 gallon batches.

Until next time, cheers, as always, to more fresh Tallahassee beer on the horizon!

No comments:

Post a Comment