Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Terrapin Tap Takeover at Proof

First, I have to mention that I'm in the photo currently front and center on Fermentation Lounge's blog post about their beer release and ninja bartenders (wtf?). I don't have a full post about it, but needless to say in the photo I'm typing up a rating on ratebeer.com about how the watermelon beer was barely enjoyable because it smelled like balloons and burnt rubber.

Anyway, this is just a quick post to mention an upcoming event in Tallahassee. If you're under 50, then you've already heard. As posted on their Facebook event, Proof is having a "Terrapin Tap Takeover," including a cask and a glassware giveaway on Wednesday, August 24th at 8pm.

According to the event page, they will have the founder and President of Terrapin Brewing Company, John Cochran, as well as a special cask ale and "10+ rare and limited release Terrapin brews on tap."

I will offer a few opinions here, of course. First of all, be well aware that this is their first big event in awhile, it's right when school (FSU) is getting started up, and it's their first glassware giveaway in awhile. Get there early, as it will be packed. Guaranteed.

Also, if you're a beer nerd, you'll probably be happy with the special cask (no word on what it is yet, but I'll update when I find out), but the 10+ "special brews" probably aren't anything we haven't seen before, unless there happens to be a random anniversary beer, new side project, or something of that sort.

However, what I find potentially exciting is that the event image features both Proof and Terrapin, and they say that the glassware giveaway will allow you to keep the "totally sweet Terrapin/PROOF glass." WTF? That could be a very limited and special glass, and I intend to get my hands on at least two... ratebeer trade? Possibly.

That's all for now, but by week's end you can expect a post about the trip I took this weekend to the Great Taste of the Midwest, which did not disappoint. Let's just say that the first beer I tasted off of the plane was Three Floyds Vanilla Bean Barrel Aged Dark Lord, currently #13 on ratebeer.com...

Cheers!

UPDATE: I hear that the cask will be a Chinook Rye Pale Ale... which I'm guessing means dry hopped.

Also, Fermentation announced that they will be having a similar Terrapin night with glasses and a cask on Friday, August 26th. They also hint that they have a Cigar City cask of Chipotle Jai Alai... sounds odd but interesting.

FURTHER UPDATE:

Via their Facebook page, Fermentation released their tap list for their event next Friday, as opposed to Proof who was going to release it little by little. I can only assume that the tap lists will be similar. From Ferm's page:

"Got the lineup for the Terrapin Tap Takeover on the 26th: Rye, Rye Squared, Golden, Hop Karma, Hopsecutioner, Pumpkinfest, Reunion (chocolate and chiles this year), Monk's Revenge, Tomfoolery, Big Hoppy Monster, and Hoptaneous Combustion."

As I already guessed... it's really nothing that special. The only new beer is the Reunion '11, which also happens to be the only beer on the list I haven't already had - most of which I've had multiple times. I for one will be hitting Proof on Wednesday as that was the original event, and it seems pretty obvious that Ferm is basically just copying. Hopefully Proof will land an extra tap or two of something else delicious. Plus I enjoy having 10+ taps for Terrapin as well as 18 or so other taps available, instead of having no options.

I also got wind that the distributor fucked up and there will be no custom Proof/Terrapin glasses. Balls... I was looking forward to that. I really hate distributors and the three-tier system (note to self: future blog post).

Either way, I'll see you all next Wednesday at Proof, I'm sure... well, except you folks that read this that aren't from Tallahassee.

No comments:

Post a Comment